Saturday, January 11, 2014

Jan 8, 2014 First go!!!

And so it all begins. The first of many chemotherapy treatments to come. this is where the rubber hit the road so to speak. The fight was about to begin in a big way. While I wanted to get things started, I think part of me was still in a state of denial, maybe it wasn't true, maybe there was a mistake. There would be no mistake. The drive to the hospital had to be the  longest most traffic congested drive of my life. Where just a month ago I would have been calm, with a "nothing I can do about it" attitude, this morning I was extremely on edge. I didn't want to be late for fear of losing my appointment time..I wanted to get this started.

This would turn into a very long day. We arrived at the chemo floor and was quickly shown to our chair. Did I mention that truthfully I still could not believe this was happening. The staff there was fantastic, after some routine checks, and medications the first course of two treatments was started and the fight was on. For the most part everything went well.

This is also the first time that I made the news public through a vague post on facebook, The response was over whelming. Well wishes from friends and from  across the country. This was truly a release, the heavy weight we had been carrying throughout Dec was off and it felt great.

This was also the night that I decided I would attend our weekly fire department training night and tel my family at the firehall what was happening. It was hard to tell but necessary. I knew that if I was to receive support and understanding from anyone it would be from these guy and girls. They are a great bunch and I am proud to be part of them.

This day ended looking forward to the short treatment tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment